CITY OF GALESBURG
55 West Tompkins Street
Galesburg, IL 61401
INVITATION FOR BIDS
For the addition of an outdoor seating area and related improvements
at the Transportation Depot
for the City of Galesburg
Instructions to Bidders
1. An advertisement for sealed bids on the above work was published in the Galesburg
Register Mail on January 14, 2019. As stated in such notice, bids will be received until
11:00 a.m., local time, February 13, 2019; and, at that time, publicly opened and read
aloud in the Basement Conference Room, located in City Hall, 55 West Tompkins Street.
Bids received after the deadline will be rejected.
2. The person, firm or corporation making a bid shall submit it in a sealed envelope to the
Purchasing Agent or his duly designated representative on or before the hour and the day
stated above. The notation "Bid on outdoor improvements at Transportation Facility”
shall appear on the outside of the sealed envelope and shall include the name of the
bidder. Bidder shall also clearly mark on the outside of the envelope: company name and
3. The bidder shall insert the cost, and supply all the information, as indicated on the Bid
Form. The cost inserted shall be net and shall be the full cost for the work specified,
including all factors whatsoever. No permits shall be waived or paid for by the City of
Page 1 of 52
4. No charge will be allowed for taxes from which the City of Galesburg is exempt: the Illinois
Retailer’s Occupation Tax, the Service Occupation Tax, the Service Use Tax, the Use Tax,
Federal Excise and Transportation Tax.
5. Each bidder shall affirm that no official or employee of the City of Galesburg is directly or
indirectly interested in this bid for any reason of personal gain.
6. All bids shall be accompanied by a Bid Bond, Bank Cashier's Check, Certified Check or Bank
Draft, payable to the City Treasurer of Galesburg for not less than five (5%) percent of the
amount of each bid. The successful bidder shall be required to enter into a Performance
Bond in a sum equal to the amount of his bid, and a Labor and Material Payment Bond.
7. Should the successful bidder fail to submit the required bonds, or enter into a contract
with the City within fifteen (15) days after notification of award, said bidder will forfeit
his check or bond to the City, not as a penalty, but as liquidated damages.
8. Insurance coverage shall be carried by the successful bidder per the attached Special
Provisions sheet for Contractor's Insurance.
9. TERMINATION FOR BREACH: In the event that any of the provisions of the contract are
violated by the Contractor or by any of his Subcontractors, the Owner may serve written
notice upon the Contractor and the Surety of the intention to terminate such contract,
such notice to contain the reasons for such termination intention, and unless within ten
(10) days after serving of such notice upon the Contractor such violations shall cease and
satisfactory arrangements for correction be made, the contract shall, upon expiration of
said ten (10) days, cease and terminate. In the event of any such termination the Owner
shall immediately serve notice thereof upon the Surety and the Contractor, and the Surety
shall have the right to take over and perform the Contract, provided however, that if the
Surety does not commence performance thereof within thirty (30) days from the date of
the mailing to such Surety notice of termination, the Owner may take over the work and
prosecute the same to completion by Contract for the amount and at the expense of the
Contractor, and the Contractor and his Surety shall be liable to the Owner for any excess
cost occasioned by the Owner thereby.
10. No bid may be changed or withdrawn after the time of the bid opening. Any modifications
or withdrawals requested before this time shall be acceptable only when such request is
made in writing and agreed to by the Purchasing Agent.
11. The City of Galesburg reserves the right to reject any and all bids and to waive any
informalities or technicalities in the bidding. Any bid submitted will be binding for (60)
sixty days after the date of the bid opening.
Page 2 of 52
12. Successful bidder to whom an award shall be made pursuant to this procurement shall
be subject to all applicable Federal and State laws and regulations, including but not
limited to the Illinois acts commonly known as the Illinois Prevailing Wage Act (820 ILCS
130). Submission of certified payroll reports will be required for this work. Applicable
wage rates may be found at www.state.il.us/agency/idol/rates/rates.HTM.
13. Current prevailing wages can be found on the Illinois Department of Labor website at
14. The City has adopted an "Equal Employment Opportunity Clause", which is incorporated
into all specifications, purchase orders, and contracts, whereby a vendor agrees not to
discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color,
religion, sex, national origin or ancestry. A copy of this clause may be obtained at the
City Clerk's Office, City Hall, Galesburg, Illinois.
15. The City of Galesburg has adopted an Affirmative Action Program. All formal sealed bids
must be accompanied by a properly prepared Certificate of Compliance form, whereby
the vendor certifies the number of employees he has in each class of employment, and
that affirmative action has been taken to ensure equality of opportunity in all aspects of
16. Bidder certifies that all laws of the State of Illinois and ordinances of the City of
Galesburg in effect at the date of the bid shall be observed by him. Evidence of any
violation during the term of the agreement shall be considered sufficient reason to
discontinue purchases by the City from that vendor.
17. Public Act 95-0635 requires that before any contractor or subcontractor begins work on
ANY public works project that requires prevailing wages, they must have a written
Substance Abuse Prevention Program on file with the contracting agency (City); or have
a collective bargaining agreement in effect dealing with the subject matter.
18. All general bidding information, bid forms, conditions of the contract, and the form of
agreement, between the City and the Contractor, shall be approved by Purchasing prior
to advertising of public notice of the project.
19. The successful bidder is prohibited from assigning, transferring, conveying, subletting, or
otherwise disposing of the contract to be signed or its rights, title or interest therein or
its power to execute such Agreement to any other person, company or corporation
without the previous consent and approval, in writing, by the City of Galesburg.
20. Bid must show the number of days required to complete services under normal
conditions. Bids should also indicate an estimated start date and completion date.
Page 3 of 52
21. The City requires that vendors be paid through ACH (automatic clearing house). The
awarded vendor will be required to provide the City with applicable banking information
for proper payment. An ACH form is attached to this document for vendor review.
22. Unless otherwise explicitly stated, awarded contractor warrants all materials and labor
for a period of one year.
23. These instructions are to be considered an integral part of any bid.
Dated: January 14, 2019
Digitally signed by Kraig
DN: cn=Kraig Boynton,
o=City of Galesburg,
ou=Purchasing - Finance,
Date: 2019.01.10 10:13:56
Kraig D. Boynton
Page 4 of 52
Local Public Agency
PROPOSAL SUBMITTED BY
STATE OF ILLINOIS
City of Galesburg
(Name of City, Village, Town or Road District)
FOR THE IMPROVEMENT OF
STREET NAME OR ROUTE NO. South Seating Area
SECTION NO. 18-00000-00-TD
TYPES OF FUNDS Local
State Zip Code
For Municipal Projects
Mayor President of Board of Trustees Municipal Official
For County and Road District Projects
Department of Transportation
Released for bid based on limited review
County Engineer/Superintendent of Highways
Note: All proposal documents, including Proposal Guaranty Checks or Proposal Bid Bonds, should be stapled together to prevent loss when bids are
Page 5 of 52